Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Call me Messi.

"...y los libres del mundo responden: 'Al gran pueblo argentino, ¡Salud!'"


I may or may not have an obsessive personality. My obsessive tendencies reach their zenith every four years during month-long festivities of the World Cup (ever heard of it?). Blessedly, I've secured employment at an institution which seems to specialize in enabling me. Maybe it's that half the office personnel are of Mexican descent, but our office keeps "World Cup hours", which basically means that during any Mexico game (or really, most games that affect Mexico's future opponents...so all of them) the office empties and we regroup at the Irish pub downstairs to get our soccer on. My boss and I are huge Argentina fans (the only two in the office), so we've also been boycotting work during any AFA appearances. Side note: Maradona gets just about as much camera time as the entire opposing team combined. And who knew that a diet that consists exclusively of cocaine and hookers could make you so rotund? I kid, but I freaking love that crazy, hairy little gnome.

Soccer fever: a contagion my immune system seems incapable of suppressing. Again, my co-workers are fanning the flare-ups. The second question the head man at the office asked me on my first day (after "So you're the new girl?") was "You play soccer, right?" Five minutes later, I had joined an adult co-ed rec soccer team. Tonight was the first game, and I played about half the game, subbing in and out. Had a few good touches and passes. So yeah, I'm pretty much the next Lionel Messi. If you're unaware of his holiness, here's a picture of him being the best player in the world. Watch out, y'all. (People here actually make fun of me for saying y'all...and really, that just makes me use it with greater frequency. And sometimes I just throw it in at the end of sentences for fun: "Printer needs more ink, y'all.") I'm calling it: Argentina as World Cup 2010 champs! If the Saints could win it all (and still Who Dat, y'all, btw), my boys in blue can totally make it all the way. I'm also rooting for the US to advance (I'm no terrorist) but I'd like to see a little more aggression at the beginning of their matches before I'm wowed into total fandom.

Even though it's been like 6 years since I last messed around with a soccer ball, I had a blast playing tonight. It's cool to just get out of the apartment on work nights. And kick things. Oh, and I love the name of the team: "Chupa Cabrones". For those of you who speak Spanish, ::snicker snicker::. For those of you who don't, far be it from me to corrupt anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie LongeneckerJune 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

    That's like having a Florida soccer team called the "Skunk Apes"

    Actually, there probably is one.

    ReplyDelete