Monday, June 21, 2010

Welcome to the Great White North(west)

"...and yes there are things that I'm still so afraid of, but my courage is roaring like the sound of the sun"

So it finally happened. Mr. Bullington, my high school history teacher, warned me that I would eventually become what I hated. I think he was referring to corporate capitalism, but he clearly didn't take into account my general hatred of blogs, blogging, bloggers and other displays of obvious self-importance. While this loathing has not completely evaporated (stay tuned for what I envision to be a bi-weekly post called "I Hate Your Blog"), luckily for me, the advent of Twitter has knocked blogging off my "untouchables" list. So here we go.

As many of you know, I recently moved to Seattle from my wonderful home in New Orleans, Louisiana. I already miss the casual familiarity of my last name's prevalence. Also: I miss sunshine. Apparently, it's been the rainiest, coldest June on record for the last 30 years. This morning, the morning of the summer solstice, it was 50 degrees and drizzling. So yes, that is taking some getting used to.

Other preliminary observations on Seattle:
-There are a LOT of white people up here. And I don't just mean people of Caucasian persuasion, but more the type of people from Stuff White People Like (see the link to the left if you've been living under a rock and haven't heard of this great blog). Also, like any "real" city, there are a TON of hipsters. Check the other sidebar link for great examples of this phenomenon.
-People here say "beg" instead of "bag". It freaks me out.
-Not only do they call it "pop" instead of "coke", they actually don't really sell Coke in that many places. Pepsi dominates.
-Backpacks: not only for the insecure teenager with facial acne. Also a staple of business men and women with or without acne.
-The public transit system rocks. I get on a bus a block from our apartment and get off 10 minutes later 2 blocks from my office. Buses have their own tunnels and completely bypass rush hour traffic. The next time someone tells you liberals can't run anything well, tell them to screw off and cite my very scientific opinion on the matter of Seattle public transit.

I started a great job at an immigration law firm in downtown Seattle. I have crazy real responsibilities, which was shocking and awesome after spending two years proofreading property descriptions and sending out billing letters. I really, really love my job so far, but the downside is it has severely cut into my workplace gchat, texting and personal phone calls. Meh. So, sorry if I've been MIA lately. This blog is my attempt to keep everyone posted on what's going on in my life lately without having the same conversation a million times. I hope you all enjoy, comment, and call me anyway to remind me that I'm not alone up here. Love you all.

A-Bear

P.S. This is the best movie review I've ever read. Someone please tell me why this franchise hasn't died yet?

3 comments:

  1. I love this. And you. You still owe me a phone call. Also it's heat-indexing well over 100 here and the roaches are out in force despite the cold winter so enjoy that cold rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Requesting to be your first "I Hate Your Blog" :) Miss you tons friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie LongeneckerJune 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

    oh no, Pepsi sucks!

    I actually love rain and cold weather... so it's funny to me that you miss the sunshine. I always thought sunshine was sort of boring. It's always the same! But clouds... they're always in different shapes and they make for way better sunsets.

    People think Florida is so sunny, but it actually storms all the time there, and I find myself missing listening to the rain. It does rain a bit here in CO, especially now that it's summer, but the "storms" only last about five minutes.

    I'm ready for snow again.

    SMOOCH!

    ReplyDelete